Saturday, October 9, 2010

Apple Cream Pie

Hello Cooks! Today I present you with a NO-BAKE dessert. I love pie : ) especially apple pies. I've been called crazy, but I am not such a huge fan of traditional pie crust, or all the mush that goes in pie with the fruit. So, when I found this non-traditional Apple Pie, I decided it's better than the rest. You don't have to agree, but at least try it out. It's easy to make and doesn't take much time, so you can throw it together the day you need it. Make it before dinner, and it's ready when you are!



Now, there are a lot of this-or-that's in this recipe, but don't freak out. If you don't like to make decisions when reading recipes, just do the first option, my preference, listed. The ingredients in (parentheses) are from the original recipe.

 Apple Cream Pie

1 9” Graham Cracker Crust (or pre-baked pie crust)
4c. Thinly Sliced Granny Smith Apples (or about 3 Large apples)
2T Sugar
2T Lemon Juice
Dash of Cinnamon (optional)
¼ cup butter
8 oz. Nuefchâtel (or original Cream Cheese)
1c. + ½ c. Cold Milk
3.4 oz pkg Sugar Free Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix (or original)
1t Lemon Peel
¼ c. Apple Jelly (or Strawberry, if you want it topped red)

Directions:
Sautè apples, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice in butter until slices are soft but still hold together. Set aside on paper towel to remove excess liquid, and cool.

Beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add 1c. Milk, dry pudding mix, and lemon peel. Add remaining milk. Beat until thick.

Spread into crust and arrange apples on top. Heat jelly in microwave for 20-30 seconds until thin. Brush jelly on top of apples.

Refrigerate at least one hour.

Note: Since I usually have sautèd apple slices left over, I layer about 8-10 on the crust before adding filling.
Sometimes liquid appears on top of pie, around edges, prior to serving. Dab off with paper towel.

I hope you enjoy this! I think it's so great and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment