Friday, October 15, 2010

Citrus Chicken with Rice and Veggies

This is a recipe for the days you know you aren't going to have time for dinner prep later, and your only downtime is between 7 and 9 in the morning. Have you met my friend - Mr. Crock Pot? He really is perfect.

Dad, Boo, and Chelle loved this. Dad just loved the flavors and and tenderness of the slow cooked chicken. I , personally, thought it was good but I wasn't as big of a fan as the family was. I don't know that Citrus flavored meat are really my thing. But don't take my opinion... get your own!

Ok, this recipe is courtesy of 1001 Slow Cooker Recipes with adjustments by me. I made this last night for dinner and got awesome feedback. The lime and thyme really give you a kick of flavor and wake up your taste buds. If you like citrus flavor and are looking for a different way to season your chicken, look no further!


 Citrus Chicken with Rice and Veggies

4-6 bone-in Chicken Thighs
1/4 c fresh Lime Juice (about 1 and 1/2 large Limes)
14 oz can Chicken Broth
1 t. minced Garlic
1/2 t. dried Thyme Leaves
1/4 c. Butter, melted
3-4 c. Instant/Minute Rice
2 c. Frozen Peas, thawed (That's what I used anyway, canned might not hold up)
1 t. Dried Parsley (optional)

Place thawed chicken in sprayed slow cooker.

Combine lime juice, broth, garlic, thyme and melted butter in small bowl and mix well. Pour over all chicken. Cover and Cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours.

Remove chicken to platter. Increase heat to HIGH. Stir in rice and peas, cover and cook 15 minutes.

Serve chicken over rice, sprinkled with parsley.

--So technically the directions say to leave the chicken in the crock pot and stir in rice and peas, and that's what I did, but I think this will work better EDIT 1. The rice ended up on top of the chicken and I couldn't get all the rice cooked evenly, and served a couple crispy kernels. Not Cool : (
--Also, after 8-10 hours of cooking the chicken just about falls apart so remove it carefully.
--The original recipe called for only one cup of rice, but that's just not enough to serve everyone. Also, there is a ton of broth, so you can probably cook about 2 cups of rice if you want it. EDIT 2

I hope you enjoy this. It really is a quick prep, and I just served it with a side of broccoli.

Cook on!

Edits:
1 - I cooked this again and took the chicken out before adding rice and peas. Wonderful.
2 -  I made this again and used about (unmeasured) 4 cups of rice. The great thing about minute rice is that it only takes a few minutes to cook, so you can tell if you have enough liquid to add more rice. With this much rice, you get cooked rice and no broth/juice. : ) just what I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment